Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Kids soccer camp gone wild... well kind of.

EOU Women's soccer team is hosting a camp this week. There are a couple different age groups; grades 3-6 and the middle and high school are kind of clumped together. We host at least two to three camps per year, which helps support our team and funding for equipment.

Yesterday I helped with the younger group. I gave one of the kids a high-five. He looks at me, between his over-sized glasses and says, "My uncle taught me to high-five because he's been to prison." I busted up laughing. How could you not?

All little kids are flexible rubber bands. Remember when you could touch your toes? These kids folded in half and beyond! I thought they were going to snap in half or get too tangled up.

From then we learned eachother's names and favorite colors because the grades were all irrelivant at this point. Did you know that 'rainbow' is a lagit color?

There's always one kid in the group that doesn't want to be there or acts too cool for school. This little gal was bossy too. Those two character traits kind of go together. During our scrimmage I tried to motivate and direct her to guard a player to her left. Without a beat she looked at me, raised her eyebrows, crossed her arms, and said, "You go guard her!"

Kids these days.

The numbers were uneven for the scrimmage so I jumped in on the low numbered team. I told my team to show their meanest game face. One boy stood straight up as if he were a robot reprogramming. He put his hand on his hip and cocked his hip out to strike a valley girl pose. Again, I busted up laughing at the unexpected act of goofiness.

Though these camps are put on for the kids and our goal is to spread the joy and knowledge of soccer, it is the kids who make the camps worth while. Thanks for your support.

No comments: