Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Play like a boy

This term was the first time I have ever taken a gender class. In fact, I had taken two gender classes in the same term.
For some of you, you might think that gender classes are a waste of time; however, I assure you, they are not.

The topic I was most annoyed with this term is that female athletes are doing nothing but copying the men, because in a patriarchy all that is male is valued more.

I play college soccer and have played soccer since I was a little girl. I would come in muddy from recess just like the boys. Yes, I wanted to be a boy growing up only to avoid the tea party dresses that I was forced to wear to family functions or church.

When asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" and I answered most often Mia Hamm, I didn't first say become a boy and be just like Rooney or Beckham. I wanted to be just like the female soccer player I had seen succeed.

I am not trying to copy a boy or man.

As I train myself for spring ball or during the summer I train for the upcoming season, I don't hope that I will be as good as the boys. Hell, I don't even train with a boy. I train by myself.

Why would I want to be just as good as a boy, when I can excel fenominally as a female athlete? You think female athletes aren't as good as male athletes?

In some aspects, yes! Women, on average, are 20 percent less strong as a man.

But not all sports take strength. There's tactics and grace. I'm not just talking about cheerleading, dancing, skating, gymnastics or any other sports you may think as graceful.

Please don't confuse the word "graceful" with "feminine" because as you will see there are many aspects of even the toughest male sports (rugby, football, hockey, etc.) that require or involve a certain level of grace.

One day a woman won't have to feel the pressure of putting on make up to get sweaty for a game, or put ribbon in her hair for it to bounce around before she spikes the ball.

One day, the phrase, "You play like a girl" will be a compliment rather than a bashing remark.

No comments: